Benedict Cumberbatch is a well-known British actor born and raised in London in 1976. While Cumberbatch has had roles in various films, plays and television shows, he is best known for his role on the BBC’s Sherlock television program. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the main character, Sherlock Holmes.
It wasn’t until 2004 that Benedict Cumberbatch had his big break; when he scored the role of a young Stephen Hawking in the TV movie Hawking. Some movies you may have seen him in include the movies Atonement, Stuart: S Life Backwards, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Star Trek: Into the Darkness, and War Horse.
Cumberbatch has received several awards and nominations for his acting skills. He has received Golden Globe and Oscar nominations, as well as a BAFTA nomination and three Primetime Emmy Award nominations. In 2013, he participated in four films that had received Oscar nominations; August: Osage County, 12 Years a Slave, Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Benedict Cumberbatch fans may already know all of the above. Now, prepare to be amazed at what you didn’t know about your favorite actor yet.
1. Benedict Cumberbatch’s eyes change color. And I don’t mean colored contact lenses. He has a rare condition called Heterochromia Iridis. This makes their eyes sometimes appear blue and sometimes green. For some people with this condition, the eyes can be two different colors at the same time (one eye blue and the other green). In the case of Benedict Cumberbatch, their eyes always match. However, the combinations of blue, green, and gold in your irises can vary and change the color of your eyes from day to day.
2. Benedict Cumberbatch is an artist. Yes, an actor is a type of artist, but that’s not what I’m talking about here. Benedict Cumberbatch went to Harrow School on an art scholarship that he had won. He painted large oil canvases and self-portraits; some of which he has sold for charity. It was during this time that he too began acting.
3. Everyone has to start somewhere. While at Harrow School, Benedict Cumberbatch’s mentor and drama teacher Martin Tyrell said he could see the star quality in Benedict Cumberbatch since he was thirteen. He made his acting debut there, at The Harrow School, in Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. He played the role of Tatnia and thus began his acting career.
4. Benedict Cumberbatch pushed the Virgin Mary off stage. In his school’s nativity play, Benedict Cumberbatch played the role of Joseph. Apparently, he felt that his co-star, playing the role of the Virgin Mary, was lingering too long and getting attention. So he gave her a little shove and pushed her off the stage to the ground. Needless to say, it wasn’t Benedict’s best moment as a stage actor.
5. Benedict Cumberbatch’s parents are both actors. In fact, they tried to dissuade him from becoming an actor and tried to give him the most normal life possible. However, his attempts were futile and the theater was his dream. Surprisingly, they have both appeared on his hit TV show, Sherlock. In the Sherlock episode where Sherlock’s parents come to visit, the parents were Benedict Cumberbatch’s real parents. He was happy and excited to have them on the show, but admits that the experience was stressful for him. He has also said that he almost cried watching the scene.
6. Prepare for this … Benedict Cumberbatch has survived an actual kidnapping attempt. The terrifying kidnapping attempt took place while filming the BBC miniseries To The Ends of the Earth. Both Benedict Cumberbatch and his co-star Denise Black were kidnapped by six men. He says he nearly lost his life and could have been killed, but somehow he managed to get out of there. Surviving this near death experience has forced Benedict Cumberbatch to look at life differently.
7. Benedict Cumberbatch is a recognized and award-winning actor. He has received several awards and nominations for his acting skills. He has received Golden Globe and Oscar nominations, as well as a BAFTA nomination. And that’s not all. He received not one, not two, but three Primetime Emmy Award nominations, as well as an Academy Award nomination. In 2013 alone, he participated in four films that had received Oscar nominations; August: Osage County, 12 Years a Slave, Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch’s mother encouraged him not to use the …