With a name like KTM, which stands for Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen, it’s not surprising that the company likes to rely on initials when naming models. It would be easy to say that dirt bikes have lettered model names, while street bikes have traditional names. However, as you will see, it is not that simple. Heck, the Enduro R model is not in the Enduro lineup. Also, special editions may violate the naming structure, but let’s save it for another day. We will do our best to explain the KTM alphabet soup, even if we can’t simplify it.
What does ktm mean
KTM are the initials of the two founders of the company (Ernst Kronreif and Hans Trunkenpolz) and the location of the original factory (Mattighofen, Austria) – hence – “Kronreif, Trunkenpolz, Mattighofen”.
The first production KTM motorcycles were produced in 1953 (hence the ’53’ logo seen on some of the Hard Parts clothing). In 1968, the Penton “Six Days” model was produced for export to the US, and in 1970 KTM began producing its own engines (they had been using Sachs engines in the past). 1978 saw the establishment of “KTM America, Inc.” in Ohio, and in 1982 began development of a water-cooled 4-stroke engine (later known as the LC4, for “liquid-cooled 4-stroke”).
In 1991, KTM’s parent company went bankrupt and split into separate successors for its various products (motorcycles, motorcycles, radiators, and tools). In 1992, KTM GMBh (the new motorcycle division) opened its doors under new management, with new motorcycle designs and a “Hard Enduro” concept. In 1995, KTM acquired Husaberg Suspension and White Power (WP) as subsidiaries.
1999 saw the opening of a new factory and the production of the RFS (Racing Four Stroke) 400 and 520 models, which (with minor refinements) brings us quite a bit into the present, and also answers the question “What does RFS stand for? ? “
MOTOCROSS: letters ktm
Although one would expect KTM motocross bikes to have an MX designation, they all get the sexiest SX name, reminiscent of supercross.
- SX: This is for 2-stroke motocross bikes.
- SX-F: Adding the F means it is a 4-stroke motocrosser.
- SX-E: Annex E tells you it is an electric motocrosser
ENDURO: letters ktm
If you can master the somewhat confusing Enduro lyrics, you are well on your way to being a KTM expert.
- EXC-F: The E tells you it is an enduro (street legal) cross-country (XC) motorcycle. The F confirms the 4-stroke engine, although there are no EXC 2-stroke models.
- XC: This is for 2-stroke cross country dirt bikes. Although under the umbrella of the enduro line, the XC models do not have lighting.
- XC TPI: TPI adds fuel injection to the mix.
- XC-W: The W tells you that the XC has a wide-ratio transmission, as well as lighting.
- XC-F: They are 4-stroke cross-country racers without lights.
- XCF-W – These are 4-stroke off-road enduro motorcycles with a wide ratio transmission and lighting.
SUPERMOTO: letters ktm
There are only two supermoto motorcycles in the KTM lineup at the moment, and they have a strange name.
- SMR – This is the non-street legal racing designation. Consider it a Supermoto Racing.
- SMC A: We are not sure what SMC stands for as it is a street legal model, rather than a racing motorcycle. The R tells you it’s ready for dirt and has more off-road capability than the slick SMR racer.
TRAVEL: what does ktm mean
Traveling is KTM’s name for adventure motorcycles, with one exception: you knew it had to be one.
- Super Adventure R – This is the V-twin adventure motorcycle, and the R tells you it has an off-road approach.
- Super Adventure S: The S tells you that this ADV is facing the street. You don’t see the S designation anywhere else in the KTM world.
- Adventure: This is for the street-oriented adventure models that are not V-twin.
- Adventure R – The ADV non-V-twin dirt bike gets its name, with the R at the tip.
- Adventure R Rally – For the toughest off-roader in the ADV world, Rally is added to the R.
- Enduro R: This is an outlier. While it is called Enduro, it is not as dirt ready as the motorcycles in the Enduro line. At the same time, it is more resistant to dirt than the other motorcycles with the Travel designation, so you get an R. Confused? You should be.
NAKED motorcycle: ktm lyrics
KTM Upright Fairingless Sports Bikes start with Duke and continue from …