Chris is always trying to figure out the best way to keep the birds out of his shiny car.
The universal problem of bird poop in cars
Anyone with a vehicle has had a problem with feathered friends trying to turn their car white. Whether you’re parked in a mall, a mall, or a grocery store parking lot, this can be a problem. It’s a problem especially for those of us who live near rivers, lakes, or the beach (think seagulls).
What can we do to help keep our vehicles out of harm’s way? Some people may think that their vehicle is cursed and that nothing on earth could help their car. I am here to assist and hopefully help those of you who are having bird pump issues.
How to keep birds away from your car
A very easy method to increase your overall chances of avoiding bird clutter is to park away from places where birds hang out. These include:
- Light posts.
- The edge of buildings (birds often poop just before or during takeoff).
- Lamp posts.
- Trash bins.
- Sailboat masts.
- Telephone cables.
- Wherever you see perching birds. I can’t stress this enough, stay away from parking under large trees where birds congregate. If you park there, it will be bad news for your car!
- Trees where there are birds.
- Cover the side mirrors with a plastic bag, sock, or cardboard (they like to “play” with the “other birds” in the mirror).
How to make your car bird-proof
Many birds poop while flying. There are many different ways to encourage them to avoid your vehicle. Here is a device that I made myself that works quite well.
- Take some old CDs – four is enough – and make a tetrahedron or pyramid shaped structure out of them. Make sure the reflective sides of the CD are facing out. The sun will reflect off these surfaces.
- Take a cloth and hot glue it around a magnet and then glue the magnet to the bottom of the pyramid. When you get out of your car, place this frame on top of your car. (The fabric will prevent the magnet from scratching your car paint.)
- The magnet must be strong enough to resist the wind. A stereo speaker magnet works fine.
- If you want to be fancy, make a small axis so that the tetrahedron can twist and turn.
This structure will keep the birds away from the area due to the change in light. These little gadgets can also fulfill the same function in swimming pools and terraces.
Why do birds poop in your car?
An informal survey was carried out by a British car shop to answer the question: “Are some cars more likely to break down than others?” What they found, among other things, is that red cars appear to be a favorite among birds.
Birds also have a natural fight or flight response. Noisy vehicles, people walking, or other sudden movements or noises could literally startle a nearby bird. Another perspective to keep in mind is that most animals are somewhat efficient. The more something weighs, the more effort or energy it takes to move it. Therefore, when a bird is taking flight or preparing to do so, it unloads itself in your car.
Can bird droppings damage a car’s paint?
Yes! Birds do not urinate and defecate separately. Their white stools contain uric acid, a component of urine. Uric acid is corrosive enough to get through car paint, so it is important to clean bird droppings from a car finish as soon as possible.
Ground to air vehicle
One day may end
Until the day this war between the avian world and our vehicles ends, I hope these ideas help. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to leave a comment and let the rest of us know. I hope the birds avoid your vehicle and the skies remain clear above. Good luck!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and belief. The content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and is not a substitute for personal advice or professional advice on business, financial, legal or technical matters.
questions and answers
Question: Why can’t I shoot the birds with my gun …