As long as you are free to build your Pokémon team with the Pokémon you want in Pokemon go, there are some better ways to do it than others. However, with over 300 pokmeon to choose from, it can all be a bit overwhelming, which is why we created this Pokémon GO The best Pokémon guide. We’ll list the best pokemeons that Pokémon GO has to offer, and we’ll list some of their stats and best moves. We’ll break you down into top attackers, defenders, and generals, so you know where on your team to place them as well.
Since Pokemon GO is as complex as it is, there is so much more to learn. To see all the information, tips, and guides we have on the game, head over to our Pokémon GO Guides hub. There are details on everything you need to be the ultimate Pokémon master, such as how to get the most out of research tasks, where to find Pokémon exclusive to the region, and a constantly updated source of new features coming to the game.
Pokemon GO Best Pokemon
Of course, given the wide variety of Pokémon offered in Pokémon GO, there is no Pokémon that is best for all situations. Depending on the Pokémon you’re facing, the weather conditions, and the bonuses active that day, you may want to go into battle with a different group of Pokémon entirely. However, there are some Pokémon that are much better than others, and these are the Pokémon we will focus on today.
Best Pokémon GO attackers
No great Pokémon party would be without a powerful attacking Pokémon. And while the best attacking Pokémon varies with active Raid Bosses, there are some that seem to consistently stay on top in terms of pure attack power. Here are the best Attack Pokémon in Pokémon GO.
- Kyogre – While Kyogre’s attack ability is somewhat hampered by the current selection of Raid Bosses, he is an incredibly powerful attacker with Waterfall and Hydropump, some of the strongest attacks in the game.
- Mewtwo – Mewtwo has remained a highly capable offensive option, offering its Confusion and Focus Blast as excellent options for dealing damage.
- Rayquaza – The combination of Dragon Tail and Outrage packs a lot of punch and overall high attack stats elevate Rayquaza above all other dragons. A double ice weakness can get in the way, especially when Regice or Articuno lead the raids, but overall Rayquaza is one of the best Pokémon in Pokémon GO.
- Machamp – Incredibly relevant due to its ability to defeat the unfairly overpowered Blissey, Machamp’s Fighting-type moveset makes it an excellent choice for those looking to take on Tier 5 raid battles
- Tyranitar – Stone Edge and its high offensive power for almost all types make Tyranitar above the rest. It’s easy to obtain too, with tons of Tyranitar raids around the world.
Best Pokémon GO Defenders
If you want to make sure your Pokémon defends a Gym for as long as possible (and why wouldn’t you?), You’ll need a team of defensive tank Pokémon. This is an area that has been practically stagnant in recent months, with the same names constantly popping up in terms of the most useful defenders in Pokémon GO. These are the defenders that you will want to consider in Pokémon GO.
- Happy – In a move that will literally surprise no one, Blissey tops the list of the best defensive Pokémon to use as a Gym Defender. Zen Headbutt and Dazzling Gleam ensure the Counters don’t last long, and Blissy’s great defensive ability means it takes a long time to take him down. The undisputed nightmare of Gym Attackers everywhere.
- Snorlax – Snorlax is probably the most used Gym Defender. There are many reasons why, but generally it is due to its high defense value and Hyper Beam attack. There’s now Snorlax with Body Slam popping up in Pokémon GO, which is sure to turn things around a bit. We’ll update when we get a better idea of how Body Slam affects Snorlax’s place in the meta.
- Chancey – Chancey is mainly used by Gym Defenders to buy time, given the time it takes to take him down. Dazzling Gleam is also very effective against some of Chancey’s best counters, so it shouldn’t be underestimated.
- Milotic – Dragon Tail and Blizzard are used to counter Grass and Dragon type counters. A solid option for anyone looking to defend a gym.
- Turning off – This Pokémon has huge CP values, it is best used to deter attacking Pokémon and defend by providing a solid attack strategy. The Play Rough attack offers great coverage against most counters.
Pokémon Go Maximum Maximum CP
If you’re interested in which Pokémon has the highest max CP value, we’ve got you covered too. It is worth noting that the value of CP, while important in the past, is definitely becoming less and less as time goes on. Still, Pokémon like Slaking prove that a high CP stat can do a lot of good in the right situation, so here is the best Pokémon in Pokémon GO rated through the highest max CP stat.
- Turning off – 4548
- Groudon – 4078
- Kyogre – 4078
- Mewtwo – 3982
- Ho-oh – 3889
Highest Pokémon GO Stamina Stats
Stamina is a good measure of which Pokémon to use as Gym Defenders. With that in mind, here are the highest stamina values in Pokémon GO.
- Blissey – 510
- Chancey – 500
- Wobbuffet – 380
- Wailord – 340
- Snorlax – 320
How to get maximum CP levels
Now that you know which Pokémon with the highest CP stat values are in the game, you’ll need to learn how to max them out for each of your Pokémon. It is not immediately apparent how to do this as we have compiled all the information you need from the following list:
- Identify which of the high CP Pokémon you want to use
- Catch the Pokémon if you haven’t already
- Use the rating system to find which Pokémon has the highest IV stats (if you don’t know how the rating system works, read on)
- Start powering up this Pokémon and use it to take over gyms.
Explanation of the Pokémon GO evaluation system
To determine which of your Pokémon has the best IV stats, you will need to use the Rating System. To rate a Pokémon, just head over to its information page, press the menu button in the lower right corner, then select “Rating”, from there, just use the following information to find out how good your Pokémon’s stats are:
- If the evaluation message includes a stat, for example Defense, then your pokemon is good.
- If it continues to show a second stat, then your pokemon’s stats are great.
- If a third stat is also included in the evaluation, your pokemon has extremely high stats
Use this information to determine which of your Pokémon has the best stats, then you need to focus on powering it up.
Pokémon GO The best Pokémon for different raid bosses
We mentioned before that while there is a set of superior Pokémon in Pokémon GO, it depends a lot on the Pokémon you plan to take on. To help you specialize, we’ve included some detailed guides to Pokémon GO raid bosses for you to check out below. They will give you an idea of Pokémon weaknesses and help you plan your team before the big fights.
That’s everything you need to know about the absolute best Pokémon in Pokémon GO. The lists presented in this guide are subject to change as new Pokémon are added and as the meta changes. We will make sure to update accordingly. For more information on the game, see our Guide on how to evolve Eevee in Pokémon GO, our Pokémon GO Research Guide, and our tips on how to catch Ditto in Pokémon GO.