What are the best classes to play solo at BFA?
Whether you’re new to Warcraft or a returning gamer, the game ONLY can be difficult and intimidating. Should you play a healer in case of damage or a tank to get through the grind level? Apart from the class, what specification should I choose? In this article I’m going to break down the top 10 characters to play, to maximize your enjoyment of the game. I base the details in this article around the Battle for Azeroth expansion, however it can also be used in Classic.
10. Arcane Mage (dps specification)
“Great Phenomenal Cosmic Power.”
Although the wizard class wears clothes, this spec is particularly fun to play with. With a focus on intelligence, haste, and critical strike, the Arcane Mage is capable of dealing a great deal of damage very quickly. This is an advantage when you are fighting a group of murlocs that keep running away.
- It cheats death and immunities.
- You can teleport to any capital on a whim (you can portal too, but that’s for groups)
- Powerful explosive area damage for the aforementioned murlocs.
- Polymorphism and slowness are excellent crowd control skills
- Blink allows you to move faster in the initial levels and escape a fight if necessary
9. Frost Mage (dps specification)
“Keep the feet on the ground”.
Like the arcane, frost is capable of great damage. However, one big difference is that Frost Mages have more AOE damage and overall DPS. Allowing fights to be a little softer, as long as you don’t get hit too hard. After all, you are still wearing clothes. If you find yourself about to get hit, this spec also has a natural cheat death.
- As an arcanum, Frost can blink and teleport
- More aoe capabilities, with rooting post-effects
- Long-range instant casts (such as Ice Lance)
- This specialization can summon a water elemental to act as a fighting partner (such as a hunter or a warlock).
- The summoned water elemental has a high level of health and armor, allowing the Frost mage to have a built-in tank.
8. Blood Death Knight (tank spec)
“Ashes to ashes.”
The death knight in general is a great armor expert. Since they start at level 55, they can wear plate armor. This increases its durability and overall survivability. The downside here is that you have to have a level 55 character to even make one. Which makes Death Knights more enjoyable at the end of the game for those who want to feel like a god. Overall, Blood DK is able to hold its own against smaller groups with incredible ease.
- 2 taunts and Death Grip allow for smooth crowd control
- Powerful instant launch DOT
- Useful tools that allow you to access DK capital, increase maximum movement speed and walk on water.
- Powerful AOE abilities
- Capable of self-healing
7. Feral Druid (dps specification)
“We must protect nature.”
As if transforming into a giant cat wasn’t impressive enough, this class has some incredible SOLO’ing benefits. Played as a rogue, wild druids have the advantage of targeted fights. Its set of tools allows you to select targets, rather than take on the entire group. This may slow down the leveling process at first, but it certainly speeds up closer to the end of the game. Depending on the career you play, this class even gets a built-in cheat kill.
- Can talent heal itself?
- The cat form increases movement speed.
- Polymorphism immunity
- Powerful DOTs allow small group splits
- Powerful instant launches
6. Guardian Druid (tank specification)
“My strength is yours!”
I know, another druid on the list. What can I say, they are great to play solo. This particular spec is a powerhouse in its class. They have a large pool of health, as well as great armor. Which is a huge advantage considering they use leather. Druids in general can easily switch between forms, allowing for stealth and fighting styles.
- Bear form offers increased armor and stamina, while reducing damage taken.
- Melee AOE spells
- Powerful DOT
- Roots and growl allow for easier crowd control
5. Elemental Shaman (dps specification)
“Are you ready to see Doomhammer work? “
Elemental shamans are very similar to wizards, apart from the leather armor (and eventually the chainmail) they wear. Focusing on long-range damage and AOEs, this specialization is capable of dealing large amounts of elemental damage very quickly.
- Super effective ECPs
- Walking on water, reincarnation, and astral recollection are great tools for PvE
- It has a travel shape, allowing for greater speed of movement for those pre-assembly levels.
- Powerful instant cast abilities
- Use of totems, which allows for greater armor and health.
4. Druid Balance (dps specification)
“In the light of Elune.”
The last of the damage-focused druid specs, this is my favorite. Although it is a caster class, Balance druids are also capable of a hand-to-hand if necessary. They use leather, but upgrades allow you to increase armor rating and overall health. Like other specs, if you’re playing a night elf, this spec has a natural trap death. Which is a huge benefit when you think you’re meaner than you are and carry a whole tower. Believe me, I speak from experience here.
- At level 20 you gain the Moonkin form, which grants increased armor and immunity to polymorphism.
- Excellent tools such as the travel form, the dream walk, and the aquatic form.
- Powerful DOT (slow to build, but high in damage)
- Strong instant releases like Moonfire and Starfire
- Like other classes of druids, capable of self-healing.
3. Beastmaster Hunter (dps specification)
“Come on Misha, there is something to kill.”
The best known NPC hunter in the game is Rexxar and his bear Misha (pictured above). It’s safe to say that most beginning hunters strive to be him when they grow up. Beast master is a special type of DPS. The character itself is a ranged class, but pets add the benefit of melee damage. Each type of pet brings additional bonuses. Bears have improved armor, cat pets have additional agility, etc.
- Upgraded from Leather to Chain at level 40, increasing survivability.
- Powerful instant launches (including a long-range AOE)
- Faking death gives the beastmaster a deceptive death, while allowing his pet to continue fighting.
- It offers benefits and advantages for the pet, making its dps and survivability excellent.
- He can tame exotic pets (rare, bosses, etc.) giving the advantage of more unique abilities.
2. Rogue subtlety (dps specification)
“Watch your back.”
When they say “you’ll never see it coming,” they are talking about subtle rogues. The subtlety focuses on sticking to the shadows and doing great damage with a single shot. The rogue class generally has a cheat kill, allowing for an easy escape should the need arise.
- Strong instant attacks
- Sap and kidney injection simplifies crowd control
- Powerful AOE capacity
- Talents to increase speed and movement
- Long-range launches for those pesky runaway mobs
1. Rogue Assassin (dps specification)
“IS: 7 agents undertake clandestine tasks for the good of Stormwind and its citizens.”
Rounding out our list is the rogue Assassination. This is by far my favorite spec to play with. In fact, he was my first character in the Vanilla days. This class overall offers high dps, crowd control advantages, and above-average movement speeds. Assassination specifically brings great speed, versatility, and massive damage very quickly.
- AOE spam capacity
- Poisons bring additional harm and damage.
- Instant launch from a distance
- Able to cut damage
- Shadowstep (acquired at level 60) offers a temporary increase in movement while positioning itself perfectly behind its next victim