In this quick megapost we will review the url shorteners alternative to “king”, to TinyURL, currently “inaccessible from most of Spain”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/10/23-tinyurl-bloqueado-por-telefonica. Most of us have commented on them in Genbeta, others so far not, but I will try to select the best because there is an infinity of them.
Before starting with the shorteners, here is a service that for the moment will save you from links broken to TinyURL. “It’s about LongURL”: http: //longurl.org/, a service that takes a url from a shortener and shows us the original address. You can copy and paste the address, but there are extensions, bookmarklets, scripts for Greasemonkey and even actions for Ubiquity.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD VIDEOS from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or TikTok on your MOBILE
Wipi.es is a minimalist, beautiful, functional, fast and direct Spanish shortener. We can customize a link (for example, “wipi.es/genbeta”:http://wipi.es/genbeta), use a bookmarklet or integrate your api. In addition, once the url is created we can copy it directly to the clipboard with a link or see “its statistics”: http: //wipi.es/genbeta- if we add a sign less to the url. If we want to scratch a couple of characters we can use a clone like “301.es”: http: //301.es.
Link | “Wipi”: http: //wipi.es
Linko.es It is another Spanish project, with the particularity that it is free software and we can create our own shortener based on it on our server. As extra features we can establish a time of life for the new url, establish a category or define certain tags for it. Although as Cyber said, its big flaw is not allowing customization of the url.
In Genbeta | “Linko, shortener of web addresses in Spanish”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/01/02-linko-acortador-de-direcciones-web-en-espanol Link | “Linko.es”: http: //linko.es/
is.gd is a popular shortener whose main advantage is having a mastery of grenade with only 5 characters, so it focuses on shortening a url as much as possible. Along the way we lose the customization, but it does not stop having bookmarklets, extensions, an api, preview (adding a sign less at the end), etc …
In Genbeta | “Linkgap and Is.gd, two more shorteners for the collection”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/03/28-linkgap-e-isgd-dos-acortadores-mas-para-la-coleccion Link | “is.gd”: http: //is.gd/
Yep.it is a curious shortener that also allows to enlarge a url, which distinguishes you from the rest. In addition, we can search your database, as well as view the real-time statistics of the site. Oh, and customize the url.
Link | “Yep.it”: http: //yep.it/
Cli.gs it focuses more on offering statistics than on shortening the urls, and that is the reason that it is the only one we have talked about so far that allows you to register for the service. Seeing the referrers, ips or browsers of the visitors who click on that link is easier than ever. Even graphics!
In Genbeta | “Cligs, another URL shortener with integrated statistics”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/09/29-cligs-otro-acortador-de-urls-con-estadisticas-integradas Link | “Cli.gs”: http: //cli.gs
PiURL.com it is a shortener with the possibility of adding functionality if we change the url. For example, if he returns us a processed url, if we add a sign less and any word, these characters will be ignored, and since it does not allow customization, it is useful to give an idea of what it is. Also, if we add a slash and a p between the url, we can preview the link before going to it. And if we add the name of a folder after the url, we will go directly to it. An example, if we have shortened google.com to piurl.com/B4, then piurl.com/B4/reader will take us to Google Reader, and piurl.com/B4/mail will take us to Gmail.
Link | “PiURL.com”: http: //piurl.com
Thinfi.com is another shortener that only has one interesting feature: the ability to add a password to access the original page. Useful to share a link with our contacts … Well, it’s not really very useful, but I suppose it will have some use.
In Genbeta | “Thinfi, short addresses protected by password”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/07/01-thinfi-direcciones-cortas-protegidas-por-contrasena Link | “Thinfi.com”: thinfi.com
Numrl.com It is a similar service with the possibility of customizing the url, but it follows another curious algorithm to create the urls. If in the other systems it is decided to use any combination of letters, in this one only numbers will be used. Obviously the addresses, at the same number of entries, will be longer, but for now they are small enough.
Link | “Numrl.com”: http: //numrl.com/
Spedr.com It has an associated extension that integrates perfectly into Firefox 3, since it is added to the list of buttons on the browser bar (where the star and the rss icon are). From that icon we can shorten any address, it does not have many more options but it is interesting.
In Genbeta | “Spedr, simple generator of short URLs with integration in Firefox”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/09/04-spedr-sencillo-generador-de-urls-cortas-con-integracion-en-firefox Link | “Spedr.com”: http: //spedr.com/
Linkbun.ch It is the service with the longest address on the list, and yet the one that can save us the most characters. How? Very simple, since it is not designed for a single url, but for several. So we can share all the urls we want with a single address.
In Genbeta | “LinkBunch, grouping several links into one”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/02/13-linkbunch-agrupando-varios-enlaces-en-uno-solo Link | “Linkbun.ch”: http: //linkbun.ch/
h2. The rest
If my accounts do not fail me, I already have 10 commented services, each one with a different characteristic, but they are not the only ones. Here Cyberfrancis has commented on a lot of other similar services, let’s see if I don’t leave any of them:
- “ZipMyURL, elegant and complete generator of short addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/05/28-zipmyurl-elegante-y-completo-generador-de-direcciones-cortas-basada-en-direcciones- long
- “Petiturl and Linkasa, two new generators of short addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/05/24-petiturl-y-linkasa-dos-nuevos-generadores-de-direcciones-cortas
- “LinkSlash, a complete shortener of long addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/05/09-linkslash-un-completo-acortador-de-direcciones-largas
- “Meaningful URL, generating short urls in a personalized way”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/02/16-meaningful-url-generando-urls-cortas-de-forma-personalizada
- “Moourl, another long address shortener”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/12/12-moourl-otro-acortador-de-direcciones-largas
- “Corta! .Us, simple web address shortener”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/08/10-cortaus-sencillo-acortador-de-direcciones-web
- “Bit.ly, promising web address shortener”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/07/09-bitly-acortador-de-direcciones-web-prometedor
- “URLXL, long address shortener and something else”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/08/19-urlxl-acortador-de-direcciones-largas-y-algo-mas
- “Budurl, address shortener with usage statistics”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/09/25-budurl-acortador-de-direcciones-con-estadisticas-de-uso
- “Tweet’l, shortener of web addresses focused on Twitter”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/11/28-tweetal-acortador-de-direcciones-web-enfocado-a-twitter
- “Dwarfurl, another address shortener”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/04/11-dwarfurl-otro-acortador-de-direcciones
- “Useamap, remembering easy web addresses of Google Maps locations”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/04/27-useamap-recordando-direcciones-web-faciles-de-las-localizaciones-de-google -maps
- “Memurl, abbreviated url by means of easy to remember terms”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/05/04-memurl-abreviador-de-direcciones-web-que-nos-generan-terminos-faciles-de -remember-in-url
- “PeqNo, reduce long web addresses into shorter ones”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/03/11-peqno-reduce-largas-direcciones-web-en-otras-mas-cortas
- “DecentURL, creating short but easy to remember addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/10/30-decenturl-creando-direcciones-cortas-pero-faciles-de-recordar
- “Dev.cl, new generator of short web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/03/05-devcl-nuevo-generador-de-direcciones-web-cortas
- “esyURL and urlbeach, two other long web address shorteners”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/08/30-easyurl-y-urlbeach-otros-dos-acortadores-de-direcciones-web-largas
- “Ration of web address shorteners: 301.es and Fupi URLs”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/10/16-racion-de-acortadores-de-direcciones-web-301es-y-fupi- urls
- “Shorty, shortening the url from your server”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/08/30-shorty-acortando-las-url-desde-tu-servidor
- “url (x): Shortening URLs that are too long”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/01/03-urlx-acortando-las-direcciones-url-demasiado-largas
- “Urlao, shortening long addresses into simpler and shorter ones”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/08/07-urlao-acortando-direcciones-largas-en-otras-mas-sencillas-y-cortas
- “Shorten long addresses with 301url”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/01/04-acorta-las-direcciones-largas-con-301url
- “Soo, shortening long web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/09/07-soo-acortando-direcciones-web-largas
- “Shorten (again) the web addresses: doiop”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2005/05/19-acorta-de-nuevo-las-direcciones-web-doiop
- “Abbrr, new attractive and functional urls abbreviation”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/04/26-abbrr-nuevo-acortador-de-urls-atractivo-y-funcional
- “urlDoctor, personalized urls with your way of being”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/06/28-urldoctor-urls-personalizadas-con-tu-forma-de-ser
- “Resources to shorten web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2005/04/23-recursos-para-acortar-direcciones-web
- “Notlong: Another to shorten web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/01/06-notlong-otro-para-acortar-direcciones-web
- “elfURL: Another to shorten web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/02/14-elfurl-otro-para-acortar-direcciones-web
- “adjix, shorten URLs and charge”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/08/23-adjix-acorta-urls-y-cobra
- “Ataja.es: Another service that shortens URL’s (now in Spanish)”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/01/09-atajaes-otro-servicio-que-acorta-urls-ahora-en-espanol
- “Jmp2, shortening long addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/10/13-jmp2-acortando-direcciones-largas
- “Zootit, generating easy to remember web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2007/06/26-zootit-generando-direcciones-web-faciles-de-recordar
- “Linkachi, shortening web addresses”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2006/09/20-linkachi-acortando-direcciones-web
- “Twit-it, share the pages you visit or post that you read on Twitter directly”: https: //www.genbeta.com/2008/07/25-twit-it-comparte-las-paginas-que-visitas -or-post-you-read-on-twitter-directly
- “Zi.ma, one of the most …