In addition to asking you any questions or asking you to tell jokes, Google Assistant offers a multitude of information of its own accord. Of course, until now we could not control all the notices, but Google has corrected it: in the assistant settings we can now decide which notifications we will receive. And it is convenient to manage them, the more personalized we have Assistant, the less it will bother us with dispensable notices.
With the sheer number of actions that the Google Assistant performs, it is difficult to keep track of everything it can do. And it not only responds to what we ask of it, it also works proactively. For example, it can remind us that an important trip is coming; or that we have a pending subscription, among many other functions. Do you want to know which ones and how you can configure those notifications? Google already allows you to do it from the Assistant settings.
Choose which notifications Google Assistant can send you
The change in settings began to appear to a few users in February, as detailed by 9to5Google. Now, as usual in Google, the company has begun to expand the function so that it reaches all users. We already have it on our phones, so you probably also have the new notification settings.
How to customize which notifications you will receive from Google Assistant? You must proceed as follows:
- Open Google Assistant by saying ‘Ok Google’, holding down the Home button or with the app.
- Click on the compass icon, the one that appears on the right at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to your avatar icon (top right) and choose ‘Settings’.
- Access the ‘Assistant’ tab and enter the ‘Notifications’ option.
- You will see that only the configuration of the email and phone notices appears. Click on ‘See all types of notification by phone‘.
- Once you display the options, you will appreciate that Google Assistant has a multitude of categories for notifications: enter those that you want to configure as they are useful to you. For example, you may not be interested in conducting surveys for Google: enter the ‘Comments’ option and deactivate the ‘Request for comments’.
Although Assistant can send you proactive notifications on a multitude of topics, this does not mean that it does: It will depend on your Google activity and how you have configured the notifications. For this reason, our recommendation is that you customize them so that they adapt 100% to your tastes: in this way the assistant will bother you only when it should.