All versions of the Google browser have functions hidden in the code that can be activated with a kind of switch. They are the so-called ‘flags’, functions still under development. Do you want to know how to activate them and which ones are the best? It is very simple, we explain it to you.
Google Chrome is an application that is updated very frequently. It is based on Chromium, the project of open source web browser that Google keeps in constant evolution. And, as developers continually create new features, the browser integrates those features into code so that only those who want to test them will activate them. And you can do it: just access the so-called ‘flags’ and activate (or deactivate) the ones you want.
Activate the ‘flags’ from the address bar
The settings in development are easy to activate since you only have to look for them within the Google Chrome code. But do not think that you will have to perform complicated steps since such access is done from the address bar and just by typing a specific URL. Of course, another song is the activation of secret functions since there are so many that, literally, you can get bored.
The process to enter the Google Chrome ‘flags’ It’s simple: just type the following in the browser’s address bar:
Once you accept, you will enter the list of hidden options in the browser. You will see that there are an infinite number of ‘flags’, all with the promise of activating or deactivating a specific function (you have all the ones in the ‘Available’ column available). To do this you have to click on the box of each one and change the status to ‘Enabled’; or set it to ‘Disabled’ in case the function is already in operation. Accept with the blue ‘Relaunch’ button (bottom right) and Chrome will restart with what you have selected. And you can select the change of several ‘flags’ at the same time: choose their state and then click on ‘Relaunch’.
Activating and deactivating hidden functions is super easy, but you should keep in mind that playing with the ‘flags’ can make your browser unstable. There is no major problem since the changes only affect Google Chrome, not other applications on the phone. And if it stops working correctly, just carry out the following steps: * Enter the ‘flags’ section again and select ‘Reset all to default’. This will restore the state of all hidden functions. * In the event that you cannot enter the chrome flags, make sure you have logged into Google Chrome so as not to lose any password, bookmark or other data. * Go to your mobile settings and enter ‘Applications’. * Find the Chrome menu. * Go to ‘Storage’ and click on ‘Delete storage’. * Google Chrome will have been restored to as it was from the factory. Once you log in with your Google account you will recover the data you had without the ‘flags’ that you chose are still activated.
The above is valid to discover all the secret options of Google Chrome, also to restore the browser to its initial state in case you spent activating ‘flags’. Given the continuous development of Chrome, these ‘flags’ are changing day by day, so it is difficult to recommend some: in the next version they may disappear. Therefore, our recommendation is that you dive into the menu of available options and try the ones that appeal to you: its name in english defines its function. Always be careful, especially if you use the browser a lot on your phone.
Some of the best hidden features of Google Chrome
As you have seen, the number of hidden functions or ‘flags’ is enormous. You can go one by one, but we make it easy for you choosing the ones that we consider to be the best. The way to activate them is simple: write their name in the search box at the top until you find the specific ‘flag’. It is not necessary to write it in full, the first few letters are usually enough. All options have been tested with the latest stable version of Google Chrome for Android.
- Forced dark mode. With this function you can force dark mode on all web pages. Seeks ‘Force dark Mode for web contents‘in the’ flags’ of Chrome. Of course, not all websites will look good this way.
- Smoother ride. There is a hidden function in Chrome that activates the smooth scrolling of the screen, the so-called ‘scroll’. Seeks ‘Smooth scrolling‘in the hidden functions of the browser and activate it.
- Speed up video playback. You can improve playback by forcing the use of hardware for it. Find the function ‘Hardware-accelerated video decode‘.
- Chrome menu at the bottom of the screen. The ‘Duet’ function does not finish officially reaching the browser, but you can activate it if you feel like it: the Chrome menu goes to the bottom. Search it with ‘Chrome Duet‘.
- Improved share menu. Look for the option ‘Chrome Sharing Hub‘and activate it: you will have the share menu that Google is finalizing in Chrome.
- Favorites with customizable order. Do you want to sort Chrome favorites to your liking? With the hidden option ‘Reorder Bookmarks‘you can drag them from the bookmark settings.
- Website isolation. Google Chrome on Android is testing the isolation of tabs so that the rest of the pages cannot intercept information. By activating ‘Strict site isolation‘each tab will be loaded with its own process. This will increase the memory used by Chrome, it will also consume more battery. Also, if you activated the isolation you must remove it with another ‘flag’: ‘Disable site isolation‘.
- Offline page preview. This option is useful if your Internet connection is not working properly: Chrome will load the saved version of the page if it has it available. Seeks ‘Offline page previews‘.
- Share saved pages. This function allows you to save the pages and share them in full. Seeks ‘Enables live page sharing of offlines pages‘.
- Floating window playback. Chrome on Android can make use of the ‘PIP’ function on the web, the floating window that allows you to continue playing video. You can activate it with ‘Picture-in-picture web API for Android‘.
- Activate the phone’s NFC. You can activate the NFC in experimental mode with the hidden option ‘WebNFC‘.
- Parallel downloads. If you use Google Chrome to download several files at the same time, you can activate parallel downloads to speed up the download. Locate the function ‘Parallel downloading‘.
- Tabs in groups. If you tend to use many tabs, Chrome has several ‘flags’ that will make your life easier. Find all hidden options for ‘Tab grid layout‘,’Tab groups‘,’Tab groups continuation‘ Y ‘Tab groups UI improvements‘.