VLC is one of the best media players today, it is the favorite of many mainly for its ability to play almost any format that we launch it. Today may not sound like a big deal, but there was a time when the headache of installing a bunch of separate codec packs and still not being able to watch or listen to some videos was a reality. VLC was one of the biggest influences to change that.
The free, multiplatform, open source player, which at first glance seems to be extremely simple because of how easy it is to use, hides more than one trick and additional tool that go beyond just playing music or videos. Just as you can play all kinds of formats, you can also convert them.
Convert audio or video files
The process to convert both audio and video is the same, what changes are the supported input and output formats. VLC supports a huge number of formats, so you have a lot of options.
- Open VLC and in the top menu click on Half and look for the option Turn into. You can also simply press CTRL + R from the player window.
- Now it’s time to select your file. Click the button Add… (you can add several but only convert one at a time). Select the one to convert and press the button Convert / Save.
- Now it’s time to choose the output format, the destination and the final name for your file. Under Preference Y Profile Click on the drop-down menu and navigate through the options until you get the format you want.
- If you want to edit more things besides the output format, you can click the button with a tool wrench to access advanced options. From there you can modify parameters such as bit rate, channels, sample rate, etc., if you are converting audio. If you convert video you have many options that go from frames per second, resolution, subtitles, to filters and special masks.
- Once you have chosen all the desired options, click To explore, select the destination location and enter a name for your file. Now you just have to press the button Start and wait for VLC to finish. The conversion screen is the same as the playback screen.
In Genbeta | How to play YouTube playlists in VLC media player