How can you find and defeat the Sphinx in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey? This mythical beast is one of four creatures in the game and must be defeated to access the end of one of Odyssey’s main quest lines.
To begin your quest to defeat all of the mythical beasts in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, you must first complete the main mission United Front, which is part of the story sequence 7. By completing United Front, you will unlock the secondary mission A Family’s Legacy. Head to the island of Thera and complete the light reflection puzzle to unlock the hidden city of Atlantis.
After discovering Atlantis, you will unlock a new quest line: The Gates of Atlantis. To operate the door, you will need to collect four different artifacts. Each artifact is in the possession of a mythical beast. In this case, we will recover the artifact from Boeotia, which is in the possession of the Sphinx.
Head to Boeotia and search for Gorgias to begin the quest for the Knowledge of the Sphinx. It is in the southern part of Lake Kopais, very close to the border. Its location is easy to spot, as the ruins are made of strange angular rocks, similar to the stones that make up the Ancient Forge, where the Spear of Leonidas is updated. Talk to Gorgias to unlock the next stage of the mission: find the apprentice and get the amulet.
The apprentice can be found in the northeast part of the Scorched Rolling Plains, near the Tomb of Menoikeus. It is not too far from the strange ruins. Recover the amulet and you can advance in the Awaken the Myth mission.
Return to the strange ruins and place the amulet on the altar. This will summon the Sphinx. While it looks fierce, you won’t actually have to fight it. Instead, you must defeat her in a battle of wits. She will ask you three riddles, and you must select the correct answer from three options.
Many of the riddles are easy to solve, but if you are struggling, you can find the answers to the 12 potential riddles of the Sphinx below.
- Enigma: This thing devours all things: birds, beasts, trees, flowers; gnaws iron, bites steel; grinds hard stones to make flour; kill kings, ruin cities; and bring down high mountains.
- Enigma: In spring I am cheerful in a beautiful variety; in summer I wear more clothes; when it’s colder, I take off my clothes; and in winter they appear quite naked.
Answer: A tree
- Enigma: I am alive, but out of breath; I am as cold in life as in death; I’m never thirsty, although I always drink.
Answer: A fish
- Enigma: As small as your thumb, I am light in the air. You may hear me before you see me, but trust that I’m here.
Answer: A hummingbird
- Enigma: Never resting, never still; moving silently from hill to hill; does not walk, run or jog; everything is fine where it is not.
- Enigma: What can bring back the dead? make you cry, make you laugh, make you young; it is born in an instant, but it lasts a lifetime.
- Enigma: What is always old and sometimes new; never sad, sometimes blue; never empty, but sometimes full; never push, always pull?
- Enigma: What is great, but never grows; it has roots that cannot be seen; and is higher than the trees?
Answer: A mountain
- Enigma: At night they come without being fetched, and by day they get lost without being stolen.
- Enigma: I create my lair with thread of earth and dispatch my prey with a stinger.
Answer: A spider
- Enigma: Some try to hide, others try to cheat; But time will tell, we will always meet As much as I try to guess my name.
- Enigma: What can run, but never walks; it has a mouth, but it never speaks; it has a head, but it never cries; has a bed, but never sleeps?
Answer: A river
You must answer all three correctly and also remember all three answers. Answer incorrectly and you will be killed and have to start the sequence again.
After completing the conversation, the glyphs will light up on the surrounding stones. You must activate the glyphs that represent each of your three responses. Then return to the Sphinx to claim the First Civilization artifact. Along with the Sphinx Prize, you will also receive a Sphinx Figurehead for your ship and a Sphinx Mace weapon.
With the Prize of the Sphinx in hand, you can return to Atlantis and place the artifact on the pillar in the far left corner. This will unlock some new First Civilization traditions and complete a stage of The Gates of Atlantis quest.