Few applications aspire to be as ubiquitous as WhatsApp. Because it is not only useful on the mobile, but also on the tablet, in the car, on non-smartphone phones and even in the fridge, why not. Even on tv, even if it is not so practical to send messages from there unless you have a keyboard. Even so, do you have a TV with Android TV and would you like to have WhatsApp on it?
One of the advantages of having Android on television is that most of the applications and games are compatible with the system and, therefore, with the big screen. However, the Google Play Store for Android TV is not so complete, so many apps escape direct download access, as with WhatsApp. That does not mean that it is impossible to use it; As we will tell you below, there are several ways.
The simplest: duplicate the mobile screen
Let’s start with the basics when using WhatsApp on television: making a duplicate of the phone screen or “mirroring”. Since Android TV includes support for Google Chromecast, the process is more than simple:
- Look for the Google Home app on your mobile. If you don’t have it installed, you just have to download it from the Google Play Store.
- Open Home and search for the name of the TV (or player) with Android TV. Click on the icon.
- You will see below an icon of the Chromecast next to the “Send my screen”. Click there.
- On TV it will be playing the same as on the phone screen. You just have to open WhatsApp and you will have it on the big screen.
This is useful for watching the videos and photos that have been sent to you on TV, for example, also to listen to the audios. Beyond that it doesn’t make much sense, since you need to have the phone in hand, so you don’t earn much either. Let’s now continue with the ways to have WhatsApp on TV and use it independently of the mobile.
WhatsApp Web, a good solution
As with Android tablets, an easy way to use WhatsApp on Android TV is through a browser and with WhatsApp Web. The problem is that the television operating system does not have a standard browser, so the process is somewhat cumbersome: you have to install one of the latest versions of Google Chrome (or Firefox, for example: only then will WhatsApp be compatible Web). From now on, a connected mouse will always be requiredEither by Bluetooth or by cable. Some menus do not work with the remote control.
Since there is no browser that supports WhatsApp Web in the Android TV store, do the following:
- Access the Google Play store of your Android TV and search for a file manager. TV File Commander is a very good recommendation.
- Download the latest version of Google Chrome for Android from Apk Mirror and upload the file to your Drive account.
- Opens TV File Commander On your TV, connect with your Google Drive account and install the Google Chrome Apk.
- As Chrome is a file that is not compatible with Android TV, the access will not appear on the TV interface. To have access, you need a launcher like Sideload Launcher. Install it on your Android TV.
- Opens Sideload Launcher and run Chrome.
- Access the Chrome settings and choose desktop view.
- Go to web.whatsapp.com on the Chrome of the TV.
- Access WhatsApp from your mobile, enter the settings and click on the WhatsApp Web option.
- Scan the QR code from TV with the mobile: you will have accessed the session in the web browser.
- From that moment on, you will have WhatsApp on the big screen from your Android TV. You can use it the same as if you were on a computer, but with the disadvantage that writing with the remote control is complicated.
To solve letter-by-letter writing on the remote control, you can use a wireless keyboard connected by Bluetooth to Android TV. You can also use the Android TV app on your mobile: from this application you can write in the areas enabled for it on your Android TV.
Install the WhatsApp Apk on your Android TV
Since your Android TV is an Android with an interface adapted to TV, it is also suitable for install any Apk file, as you have seen with Google Chrome. Of course, they do not have to work correctly: only apps adapted to Android TV are seen as they should on TV. However, you can always try, as we will do with WhatsApp.
- Follow the above process: install Android TV File Commander and Sideload Launcher.
- Download the Apk from Apk Mirror, upload it to Drive e install it on tv from Android TV File Commander.
- Open WhatsApp on TV using Sideload Launcher and start the account startup process.
- WhatsApp works without more on TV, although it is best to use a keyboard connected to the Android TV so that it is more comfortable for you to write.
- Remember that you can only have one connected account: linking WhatsApp on your Android TV will remove access from your phone.