There are times when taking a screenshot is not enough and you need a method that enable phone screen and audio recording. How to do it? The most logical thing is to look for an application that allows it, but surely you do not need it: most likely, your mobile already has screen recording. It is something that includes brands such as Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei, Honor, OPPO or Realme, among many others.
Taking a screenshot on the phone is something universal since all Android smartphones allow it (power button and volume down at the same time), but does the same thing happen if we want to make a video screenshot? This action is not universal on Android, Google has begun to incorporate it in version 11, which is currently in beta. Even so, most manufacturers include their own screen recording mode: either in the form of their own app or from the quick settings or game mode.
How to record the screen on Samsung mobiles
The custom interface of this manufacturer, One UI (both in version 1 and in One UI 2.0) includes screen recording. This function is available both as a quick setting and within the game mode, also in the form of its own application (depends on the One UI version). Let’s see how you can record everything that happens on your phone:
- Find the ‘Screen Recording’ app. If it is available you just have to open it and click on the record icon whenever you want. Then for the recording when finished and that’s it.
- In case you don’t have an application, display your Samsung’s quick settings (swipe down from the top of the screen) and look for an icon that says ‘Record screen’. Click there, choose the audio settings (it is recommended to leave ‘Multimedia sounds and microphone’) and click on start recording.
- In the event that the icon does not appear (nor is it available to add), open the ‘Game Launcher’.
- Click on the menu and then on ‘Add applications’. Incorporate those apps from which you want to record the screen (WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram …).
- Open the application you want to record and you will see that the ‘Game booster’ option appears in the notification bar. Squeeze there.
- The option to ‘Record screen’ will appear. Click on it and everything you do will be recorded in video and audio.
How to record the screen on Xiaomi phones
Xiaomi also incorporates a screen recording app in its MIUI custom layer. And, like Samsung, it provides different ways to activate said recording:
- Search among all the applications you have installed the one called ‘Screen recorder‘.
- Click on the orange record icon, the one that appears at the bottom right. In addition, you can configure the recording quality in the settings, top right (gear).
- You can also record the screen from its quick setting: display the notifications and look for the ‘Screen recorder’ icon.
- A third way is to add applications to ‘Game Turbo’, the MIUI game launcher. Open said launcher, click on the ‘+’ to add game and incorporate the app to record.
- Open the application and you will see that a small tab appears on the side, they are the Game Turbo settings. Unfold them by sliding them to the right.
- Click on the camcorder icon and your screen will be recorded.
How to record the screen on Huawei and Honor phones
Huawei has been expanding the possibilities of its own software to offer almost everything that the user needs as standard. Own apps for almost everything, app store and even services with which to replace those of Google Play. And it also has its own option to record the screen, so you can use it:
- On Huawei and Honor mobiles, you have access to screen recording from the quick settings, the shortcut area that appears when displaying notifications. Look there for ‘Screen recording’ and click on the button.
- Accept the permissions and the recorder will start working.
- If the screen recorder button does not appear in your quick settings, click on the pencil icon and add it to active accesses (drag it from the bottom to the top).
- EMUI also includes a shortcut to recording: by default it is activated by holding down the power button and volume up (the volume button opposite to the screenshot).
How to record the screen on OPPO and Realme mobiles
ColorOS (and RealmeOS) also offers a native feature to users so they can easily record the screen. The method to achieve this is the following:
- Pull down the quick settings of the phone (in the notification area) and look for the ‘Start screen recording’ icon.
- If you don’t have the quick setting, click on the edit icon (the one with the dotted square, to the left of the nut) and drag the recording access to the upper settings area (those shown on the phone).
- Another way is to add the application you want to record to the ‘Games area’. Open that app and add the app with the ‘+’.
- When you open the application incorporated to ‘Games Space’ you will see that a small tab appears in the upper right part of the screen. Pull it to the center: the game options will appear.
- Click on ‘Screen recording’ and record everything you want.
Does your mobile have no screen app? Download it
Unfortunately, and because Google hasn’t introduced screen recording as a default feature on Android (yet), not all manufacturers add the ability to record to their phones. So if you lack this feature, you have no choice but to download an app from Google Play.
There are many applications of this style. We have tested a good number of them, and one of our main recommendations will always be Rec. It is a free app, it has some ads, it offers an in-app purchase to remove them (2.69 euros), includes a lot of options and it works great on most phones. Of course, it is not perfect: given the enormous variety of Android devices, it could be the case that yours does not work correctly.
What should you keep in mind when recording the screen
- You must make sure that you have permission to record the screen. If you are conversing with someone, and that conversation is private, you should consult with the other person before starting the recording.
- Sound will not always be recorded correctly. Google imposed restrictions on the microphone in the latest versions of Android, so the audio will not be recorded in calls or video calls. The image does not usually have problems.
- Not all apps allow screen recording, not all manufacturers enable it. Samsung, for example, does not allow the screen to be recorded (with the standard app) in video calls: the recording stops.
- Adjust video quality and bitrate (if available) to your requirements. If you record a game it is best to put a minimum of 1080p in the resolution, but if it is another application you may not need as much quality. Remember that video recordings take up a lot of space.
- Screen recordings are saved as videos in the gallery. When you stop recording, the accessible file always appears in the notification bar: click on the notice and you will be able to play the last recording.