You may not have hours in your day to attend WhatsApp messages, check Instagram and the latest hits from Spotify. It is just one example of how tasks on mobile have multiplied in recent times and dividing the screen of your Android mobile in two can be the solution by allowing you to work with two applications at the same time. It is known as multiple window or double screen and if you still don’t know how to activate it, now is the time.
To do this, you will have to have Android 7 Nougat or higher installed on your smartphone and you should bear in mind that the process may vary slightly depending on the version you have on your mobile. There is also some apps that cannot be split screen since they were initially configured like this by the developer. If you find any, do not despair since on some Android devices you can change these settings manually. To do this, you must go to Settings> Developer options and activate the Force activities to change size box.
Switch to split screen
The main thing, as we said before, is check that you have the required Android version to be able to split the screen. Although the route to do it will differ depending on the mobile you have, the normal thing is that you can find this information in the phone settings and operating system information. That said, there are two ways to split the screen of your Android mobile:
1. Press to add
- Open one of the applications that you want to run on the split screen of your mobile.
- Look at the bar at the bottom of your phone. There you will find the applications button, which is usually square and is located in the lower right corner. We have tested it on the Xiaomi Mi 1 with Android 9 Pie, and here the apps button is located in the lower left corner with three horizontal stripes.
- Press it for several seconds.
- You will see how the app you opened in the first place is relegated to the top.
- At the same time, a carousel opens on the screen with the rest of the apps that you have open so that you can choose the one you want to activate on the other half of your mobile screen.
- Click on the one you want within the same carousel and, immediately, your mobile screen will be divided in two.
At the top you will have the app that you had open from the first moment (in our case, WhatsApp) and at the bottom the one you chose later from the carousel. Once you have them both on the screen, you can drag the dividing line to change the proportion.
2. Drag and drop
You can also divide the screen of your mobile by dragging the apps. To do this, you will have to follow the following steps:
- Click on the square button for applications and all recent apps will open.
Click on the icon of the application you want (without opening it). A window will appear that shows you two messages: “Application information” and “Split screen”.
Click on split screen and immediately the application will be fixed at the top of the screen.
- Next, the carousel with recent apps will open so that you can add the one you want to the second half of the screen. In case it doesn’t come out here, no problem. Click on the Home button to go to the main screen and from there you can choose the application you want to add it directly to the bottom of the screen.
Turn off split screen
To disable split screen, you have several options. The simplest is by pressing for a few seconds on the square button of applications and the second app will disappear. You can also drag the dividing line down to make one of the apps disappear.
Lastly, you can press momentarily on the Home button from the bottom bar of your mobile. At that time the second application will disappear and the first will be relegated to the top. You have two options, open it to continue working on it or remove it from the screen. Depending on what you want to do, you will have to slide down (to open) or up (to remove) the dividing line.