The cloud has become one of the most in-demand features today. And we are continually seeing it in companies like Google, Microsoft, Dropbox, LogMeIn, and a long list of services. We see ourselves to focus on text editors, services that allow us create and edit documents directly in the cloud, or what is the same, editable and available anywhere and at any time.
The most popular cloud text editors
- Google Drive, or formerly known as Google Docs. Create and edit documents collaboratively, that is, we can be several people editing the same document at the same time, in real time. In my opinion, one of the most complete and with more functionalities. Also available on iOS and Android.
- Office Web Apps. We are all familiar with the Office suite of products: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. These are also available to use directly from the browser, without the need to install anything on our computer. Using a Microsoft account we can access all the services and features offered by Office Web Apps, almost identical to its desktop version.
- Evernote. Who does not know Evernote? You need practically no introductions. Evernote is a service that allows us save ideas, articles, annotations, images, etc. Available both in web version and in applications for Android and iOS.
- Springpad. Very curious and practical service, a kind of notebook (like a notebook) where we can save texts in different formats, such as recipes, a photo book, ideas, tasks, whatever we have in mind. It’s a notebook everywhere in digital format where we can choose to show our notebooks publicly or privately. Available for iOS and Androd.
- Zoho. Similar to Google Drive. It has a series of online applications for document editing: Writer (word processor), Sheet (spreadsheets) and Show (editor of presentations and slides). The use of the application is free with registration, although you have payment plans to obtain additional tools.
Other less popular services but to consider
- Pinfolio. Very useful tool for create multiple text notes. Advantage? Allows you to place bookmarks, save in different formats (including for eBook), insert into any website using embed and QR, compare with other documents, etc. Disadvantage? To create documents we will necessarily need an account in the service, something that could throw us back on certain occasions.
- Memonic. It is a collaborative online annotator, or what is the same, several people at the same time can make changes simultaneously. It is not really a service to create documents, but rather a Web Clipper that allows us save a web and annotate it later with a Memonic account.