And it will continue to be possible in 2021. The “offer” does not seem to be going anywhere, and five years after the launch of Windows 10, it is more than clear that Microsoft is much more interested in increasing the number of users of the system than in getting revenue from individual licenses.
At the beginning of the year we explained how to upgrade to Windows 10 for free in 2020. That same process continues to be valid and you can take advantage of the end of the year or the new year to definitely abandon Windows 7, a system that was already obsolete a long time ago.
What do I need to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
- Have a valid Windows 7 license: the offer that continues to work is that, you can update either with your old Windows 7 license or directly from the computer you are using with Windows 7.
- Check if your computer is compatible: having the license does not imply 100% that your PC is compatible, although unless you have a 20-year-old PC, it is most likely that it is. You can check it automatically using Microsoft’s media creation tool that is downloaded at this link.
- Make a backup before updating: This is not a requirement but a recommendation. If you want to prevent any catastrophe, it is always important to back up your important files, whether on an external drive, the cloud, or a pendrive if you have one with enough space for everything you don’t want to lose in case something goes wrong.
HOW TO UPGRADE your PC FREE from WINDOWS 7 to WINDOWS 10
How to upgrade to Windows 10
- Run the media creation tool that currently runs on Windows 10 version H2 (double click on the file MediaCreationTool20H2.exe that we downloaded earlier).
- Accept the license terms and click on “Update this equipment now“.
- After carrying out several checks, the tool will tell you if you have a valid license and a compatible device and will let you decide what type of installation you want.
- We recommend using the clean install by selecting the option Custom – Install Windows only.
- Depending on your computer, the process can take minutes or hours, longer if you have a hard drive and not an SSD.
- System activation should be done automatically and your license is associated with your device.
Can I upgrade to Windows 10 without a license?
It is possible to use Windows 10 without a license, in fact it is possible to upgrade for free without a license with certain details to take into account. During the process of a clean installation of Windows 10 the tool allows you to skip the step of entering a license and “do it later”.
That “after” can come whenever you want, the system will be installed and you will be able to use it without almost any limitation, with the exception of preventing things like changing the colors or the wallpaper, and that you will see a small watermark on the desktop indicating that Windows 10 is not activated. Everything else works perfectly normal.
You can buy a license later and enter it from the system options in Windows 10 settings. Or you can join the Microsoft Insider Program if you don’t mind being a beta tester.